20200306

Black Ink and David Best Reviews from M&M Enterprises

Ahem...Greetings all. Here is my submission to the Record of the Month Club.

Obligatory intro story: I inherited an acoustic guitar from a friend who died in 1984. - I'd never played, but somehow, it seemed like the 'perfect gift'. Anyway, that summer, I was going through a pretty heavy Ty-Rex phase and one day while I was sitting strumming this guitar, I realized that I'd accidentally strummed out the chords of the rhythm guitar part in 'A Daye Laye'. (!!)
I love -everything- about this LP. From the very first note of Prelude which always makes my heart soar - to the 'Grand Cacophony' of Elemental Child, where I have often find myself pogo-ing around the room, bopping madly to that guitar thing at the end. (The cats, at this point, are both hiding under the bed.)
Here's my quick synopsis of the whole record - which I just recently found on CD! No lyric sheet with the CD though <for shame!>

A Daye Laye. <for me> is forever dedicated to absent friends.
Woodland Bop. A totally accessible pop tune.
Fist Heart Mighty D-D-D-Dawn Dart. A personal favourite. I love the melody.
Pavillions of Sun. Awesome melody. 'Know the earth and you'll understand'
Organ Blues. 'Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah you know that I love you...' - Sheer Brilliance. Listen to the bongo drum, it's alive!
By The Light....Another totally accessible pop tune and I just love the lead guitar...the way it weaves itself around and through the melody...it sounds backwards!!! Awesome.
Doesn't Wind Cheetah sound like something totally foreign and exotic?
Great Horse. I have no words for this beautiful song. I think it might be my favourite off this album. It's sad -and- happy -and- gorgeous.
Dragons Ear is my least favourite!
Lofty Skies is the second song I learnt the chords to. :) Another personal favourite
Dove. Another one of those totally accessible little beauties.
Elemental Child. I think I covered this one in the intro!

So that's me. (This was a great idea Rick) I had fun listening to this record with 'fresh ears' again.
blackink

Hi Tillers,
Got done the painting and now have time for the review.
Like some others, I got to this album backwards. My first T.Rex album was EW and then I got the T.Rex album (here in Canada with Ride A White Swan instead of The Children of Rarn reprise...always thought Swan belonged there..a goodbye to Ty.Rex and on with the Electric Warrior) At the time I looked for anything by Marc. I don't quite remember, but I think that BOS was my first Ty.Rex album. I love the cover photos of Marc and Micky. I've just realised I have two vinyl copies of this (where did this second copy come from?.. age it does things to the mind), both on Blue Thumb Records, but each with a different foldout, also a cd copy.
The first thing that strikes me about this album is how short it is, only 35 minutes, but a very entertaining 35 minutes;-)

Prelude - appropriately titled - a prelude of things to come, simple and relaxing, listen to it on the headphones and the bells go back and forth - Micky's debut?
A Day Laye - great lyrics, "don't ever worry cos I'm your friend"
Woodland Bop - once you start it you'll find it hard to stop, do da da daa;-)
Fist Heart Mighty Dawn Dart - great title, I used to have Bard's Tale characters named Fistheart and Dawndart. I loved that game...funny how the day comes slo ow.
Pavilions of Sun - Swans will fly.....love the bongos, good job Micky!
Organ Blues - what a mood..oh yeah..simple yet entertaining..again good on the headphones. did he say feasties of the Bestys;-)..oh right beasties (phew!)
By the Light of the Magical Moon - nice guitar intro and bongos again, there's that 'lectric guitar..again moving around on the headphones.
Wind Cheetah - you can see Marc, standing on a hill, wind in his hair, playing the electric guitar, Micky at his feet, as they overlook the village below.....spinning their tale..
A Beard of Stars - backing vocals remind me of what was to come, nice work
Great Horse - love the words
Dragon's Ear - my favorite, love the simplicity of the start...I used to have a character named Dworn in BT as well...he kick ***. this would make a good rocker.. but let's not mess with a good thing.
Lofty Skies - we kissed and cried..good advice;-)
Dove - haven't we all felt this way?
Elemental Child - like the way Marc sings the title..the rest..well Hendrix he wasn't..also good to listen to on the headphones..nice backing vocal in the left ear..would have liked Marc to try this later when his guitar skills were better developed..did he ever perform it live as T.Rex?

Throughout this album we are treated to some GREAT poetry put to music..not all of it makes sense in reality, but in the fantasy realms of our minds it conjurs up visions of..........
Marc Hendrix is still playing in my ears, man they could have used a better bass line...<g>
My second review, is that a newbie record;-), again, go easy on me, I'm new at this.

Besty

No comments:

Post a Comment