20200306

Mark McL and Rick Reviews from M&M Enterprises

IT'S IN STEREO
Of course it is you say, but remember that in the late 60's stereo was still a novelty. I bought stereo LPs even though neither I nor anyone I knew had one. "This can be played on mono equipment fitted with a suitable stylus. If in doubt consult your dealer" was printed on the back of most stereo albums.
With my freshly bought copy of BOS I went round to my friend John Sayer's; he had a new stereo (well his dad did really) AND stereo headphones. I had never tried headphones before and as I listened to Prelude the cymbals went "from ear to ear" right across the middle of my head - WOW!!

FIRST PERSON
Compared to the first three albums Marc has moved from narrative and descriptive songs to songs written from a personal viewpoint. This means mainly love songs which were not really present before. Also the tone is much sadder, a catch in the throat. What was happening in his personal life at the time that could have brought about this change?

ELEMENTAL CHILD
Most of the album is Tyrannosaurus Rex "Plugged" and then this track bursts upon you. Who? What?? Where??? What is going on here, this is so-o-o different! A harbinger of things to come. Each album has an oddball track that sticks out from the others, this is BOS's. For those unready to move on this is the writing on the wall. Exciting or self indulgent? Don't care really - I liked it.

Anyway (June 1st) ----- "Beard of stars"

1- "A day Laye"
This song could have fit on almost any prior T-Rex or Tyrann. LP. I could even see it fit onto many of the later LP's (well maybe not Zip Gun Boogie, or Futuristic Dragon) ....
It always reminded me of the opening of "Children of Rarn" from the T-REX Lp As with the UK release of that Lp it would have fit in nicely as a reprise at the end of "B.O.S"
On my site (small P.R. work) I've used two of my favorite lyrics to introduce certain sections & both of them came from this track.
To greet those at my collections I have ::

"Every dawn of our lives a heart is forged and
Linked with lore to one so similar"

To thank those on my homepage I included :

"Even though the wind might blow it all away
Don't ever worry 'cos I'm your friend"

I still get a warm feeling every time I hear this song. It represents a human quality .. man connecting to fellow man/woman I think Marc saw this as Lp as he did the T-Rex Lp ..A Book . and "A Day Laye" is the prologue .. In the past 25 years I think i've used the latter lyric in countless letters to friends (there was a time when we only had snail mail) if they were feeling down about something.
Well that is how the song touches me .. As I probably will review all the tracks , on a personal level. Each song that Marc gave us ,in turn gave me, a better insight to myself. Even if it was only "You can bump & grind if it's good for you mind" That Bump & grind was still imbedded in my mind!
______________
Rickster
----NEXT---?

No comments:

Post a Comment